I know. I’ve already posted a vegan chili, but last night, we wanted to make chili and I didn’t think we had the ingredients. We decided to go for it anyway, and realized that you can make chili with anything and it will be easy and totally delicious.
Here’s what we used:
- Any combination of fresh and frozen vegetables – we happened to have:
- bag of frozen pearl onions
- half a bunch of celery (diced)
- 2 jalapeno peppers (diced)
- 3 carrots (diced)
- 1 red bell pepper (diced) and half a bag of frozen bell peppers
- bag of frozen sweet potatoes
- 4 cloves of garlic (minced)
- Any combination of beans – we happened to use:
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 can of kidney beans
- 1 can of pinto beans
- 1 can of green beans
- Some combination of tomatoes. We used:
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 28 oz can whole tomatoes
- Some combination of spices. We used:
- 2 T chili powder
- 1 t cumin
- 1 t smoked paprika
- 1 t oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional – additional grain. We added 1 cup of quinoa. You could omit this or add pasta or serve over brown rice or whatever you’ve got.
- Additional liquid to cover. We used about 5 cups of water and 5 t of vegetable bullion.
- Optional – toasted seeds. We added pumpkin seeds at the end.
- Saute the vegetables for about 10 minutes with the spices.
- Add everything else and simmer for 30-45 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
We served it with a bit of cashew cream, the toasted pumpkin seeds, and green onions. Highly recommended.