You can easily make mashed potatoes vegan in lots of ways. This method is whole food, plant-based (no oil), but I have notes on a few other methods below the recipe. I recommend using a ricer for the best texture, although the downside is you lose the potato skins (which have a lot of nutrients). I often just use a potato masher instead (and then fold in the ingredients as per the instructions).
- 5 lb potatoes (a mix of yukon gold and russets)
- dice, add to pot, then cover with cold water; simmer until soft.
- Strain then add back to pot over heat to dry out any liquid.
- Put through a ricer.
- Blend until smooth:
- 1 c cashews
- 1/2 c vegetable broth
- 1 T apple cider vinegar
- pinch of salt
- Fold cashew cream into potatoes.
- Use 2 T vegan butter and 1/2 c cashew cream
- Use 1/4 c vegenaise