- 1 onion, diced
- 4 carrots, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp celery seed
- salt and pepper to taste
- red pepper flakes to taste
- 1 potato, diced
- 4 T brown rice flour
- 4 c vegetable broth
- 1/4 c unsweetened nut or soy milk
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas
- 1 c frozen peas
- puff pastry, pie crust, or mashed potatoes (alternately, serve over noodles)
- Heat oven to
- Heat oven to 425.
- Saute onion, carrot, celery, and garlic with spices for 10 minutes or until soft
- Add potatoes and flour, stir to coat and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add broth, milk, and bay leaves. Simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
- Add chickpeas and frozen peas and stir to combine. Remove bay leaves.
- Pour into casserole dish and cover with prepared puff pastry, pie crust, or mashed potatoes. Bake for 20 minutes until brown.
Notes and options:
- You could do this more regular pie style with a crust both at the bottom and top.
- You could layer the puff pastry at the bottom of the dish and put mashed potatoes on top.
- You could instead serve over noodles for a chickpea noodle soup style casserole.
- You could add other vegetables, for instance parsnips or zucchini.
- Instead of chickpeas, you could use white beans or lentils.