Inspired by Vegan Richa Indian Butter Tofu Paneer and Ceara’s Kitchen Vegan Butter Chicken
- 1 onion. chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green chile, mined
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp ginger (or 1 inch ginger, mined)
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp fenugreek leaves
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 15 oz crushed tomatoes
- 1 T date sugar (or 1 pureed date)
- 1/3 c raw cashews, soaked in hot water for 30 minutes
- 1 15oz can chickpeas
cashew cream for garnish
- Saute onions in a dry pan for about 10 minutes, then add garlic, green chile, and spices and cook for about 5 more minutes or onions are soft and golden.
- Add vegetable broth and crushed tomatoes and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Strain cashews and blend with 1/2 cup of the sauce then add back to the sauce.
- Add chickpeas and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Top each serving with 1-2 T cashew cream. Serve over brown rice.
For the naan:
- Combine 1/2 cup nut milk with 1/2 almond flour and 1/4 c tapioca flour.
- Pour half into a lightly greased (hot) small pan and cook for 4 minutes (until the dough bubbles), then flip and cook another 4 minutes.
- Repeat with other half of the batter.