I adapted a Gimme Some Oven recipe based on what I had on hand and it turned out great, so I wanted to save what I did, since otherwise I’ll never remember.
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped
- 1 8 oz package of sliced mushrooms
- 2 tsp garlic powder (but only because I was out of garlic cloves; the original recipe calls for 5 of them)
- 1 onion, diced (I used a sweet onion)
- 2 tsp italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup cooked rice (the original recipe called for 1.5 cups uncooked wild rice and an extra cup of veggie broth)
- 2 tsp veggie bouillon and 2 cups water (or 2 cups veggie broth)
- 1/4 cup golden raisins (the original recipe calls for cranberries0
- 1/4 c toasted pumpkin seeds (the original recipe calls for toasted pine nuts)
- juice of one lemon
- 2 tsp dried parsley (or 1/4 c fresh)
The basic method is to roast the cauliflower and mushrooms while you brown the onion with the garlic and spices and then add the rice and broth and cook until the rice is done. Then you add the roasted vegetables and the rest of the ingredients, and done!
Based on what I had, I heated the oven to 450, then roasted the cauliflower and mushrooms for about 30 minutes (the smaller you chop everything, the shorter time it will take).
While that was roasting, I browned the onion with the spices and just heated up a Tasty Bite brown rice packet in the microwave for 90 seconds. I normally have brown rice already cooked (in vegetable broth) and portioned in the freezer for times that I don’t want to wait for brown rice to cook (as that can take forever). But I have the precooked rice packets for times like this when I don’t happen to have the cooked rice on hand.
Wild rice takes less time to cook than brown rice, so if you have uncooked wild rice available, then as per the original recipe, it should cook up in about 15 minutes.
Since my rice packet didn’t have the advantage of being flavored while it cooked, I added it once the onion was browned, along with the veggie broth (somehow I had also run out of vegetable broth, so I turned to my backup).
I let them simmer at somewhat high heat since I wanted the liquid to evaporate.
Then, I added everything else and tossed it together.