I used the sauce from this recipe, but used a different filling and simplified the construction a bit. For the filling, I used onion, zucchini, and bell pepper, but you could also use other vegetables, like mushrooms,cauliflower, or carrots. And you could swap out the black beans for another bean (like pinto or white) if you’d like.
- Vegan8 cheese sauce
- 6 flour tortillas, cut in half
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 15 oz can black beans
- salt and pepper to taste
- dash cayenne
- 1-2 T chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 c cashew cream
- optional toppings: green onions, black olives, avocado, tomato, lettuce
- Heat oven to 375.
- Make the cheese sauce in the blender.
- Saute the onions and peppers and once they are soft, add zucchini and garlic.
- Add the spices (to taste) and once everything is softened and slightly caramelized, add the beans.
- Combine and add the cashew cream.
- Add 1/3 sauce to casserole dish, then add half the tortillas.
- Add half the filling and cover with another 1/3 of the cheese sauce.
- Top with the other half of the tortillas and the rest of the cheese sauce.
- Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 10 minutes.
- top with whatever toppings you’d like and serve with cashew cream (and more cheese sauce if you make extra!)